PART-REMOTE WORKING AVAILABLE. A crucial role providing specific Customs subject expertise within a well-known and much loved consumer brand which takes great pride in being a great place to work - which starts with hiring great people.
The Customs Manager will manage, maintain, and drive change in relation to systems and processes concerning Customs in order to ensure that the business is compliant with ever evolving legislation. Post-Brexit the complexity of Customs & VAT have increased, and effective management of tax risk is increasingly important.
What you'll do - Customs:
- Manage and maintain the tax control framework for Customs processes and assist with maintenance of effective controls.
- Lead the existing imports team, and recommend changes needed to process and systems to ensure they comply with relevant tax legislation.
- Ensure timely compliance with Customs obligations.
- Support the business in a post-Brexit environment with effective change management including systems and processes.
- Present Customs training to internal colleagues.
- Keep abreast of the regulatory environment including trade tariffs/duties and trade restrictions/requirements and ensuring effective communication with various stakeholders.
- Identify supply chain risks and opportunities.
- Ensure system reconciliations are undertaken on a timely basis.
- Monitor duty deferment account limits, oversee bonded warehouse, and manage TAN account.
- Support with customs classification codes and customs values.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, including regulatory bodies, customs brokers/agents, external advisers, and HMRC.
There would be additional exposure to VAT as follows (expertise not a pre-requisite):What you'll do - VAT:
The ideal candidate:While there are two clear elements to the role, the key area of expertise sought is around Customs, as the area with the greater knowledge gap and the more urgent need for attention.
- Manage and maintain the tax control framework for VAT processes and assist with maintenance of effective controls.
- Ensure timely compliance with VAT obligations.
- Work closely with the Accounts Team in respect of preparation of monthly control account reconciliations, working to resolve any differences.
- Oversee the VAT return preparation processes, including performing a reconciliation check.
- Oversee the preparation of EC Sales List and Intrastat declarations.
- Support the Head of Treasury and Tax with HMRC queries related to the VAT return(s), EC Sales List and Intrastat declarations.
- Ensure effective cross-departmental communication and build effective and collaborative relationships both internal and external.
- Undertake regular product file reviews for new product lines.
- Support with ad-hoc projects e.g. IT system implementation(s).
What they'll give you:This is an ever growing, changing and evolving business so you'll be constantly challenged. You'll be working for a highly recognisable brand and work with a high calibre peer group.The role has a comprehensive package and a salary up to £90,000 (dependent on experience), car/allowance, bonus to 15%, healthcare and pension.Part remote working with up to 2-3 days per week in Walsall.
- Ideally Customs exposure from HMRC or Big 4 advisory, in addition to experience applying this knowledge within a commercial setting.
- Extensive knowledge of import processes and procedures for imports from non-EU countries, particularly documentation and certificates needed for goods to enter the UK in a rapidly evolving compliance landscape.
- Expert knowledge of Customs and Excise regulations.
- Experience with customs authorisations (AEO, CFSP, bonded warehouse, etc.).
- Experience managing Customs compliance, identifying, and correcting potential issues, and providing management with summary reports.
- Previous experience implementing VAT and Customs processes and managing a tax control framework is highly desirable.
- Experience of project managing, leading, and influencing teams to collaboratively deliver the changes needed
- Ability to understand and present complex issues clearly and concisely.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with a high degree of attention to detail.